Associate Professor of Computer Science
School of Computer & Communication Sciences
EPFL - IC - DSLAB
Room INN-330, Station 14
1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
- Principles of Computer Systems (MS/PhD)
- Software Engineering (Undergraduate)
- Software Development Project (Undergraduate)
Complete list available at publications page.
- Chair of program committees: HotOS 2015, DSN 2013 (DCCS)
- Member of program committees: SOSP (2013, 2011), OSDI (2014, 2010), ASPLOS (2010), EUROSYS (2012, 2011, 2009), USENIX (2011, 2009, 2007), CIDR (2013), SOCC (2012), DSN (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008), HotOS (2013, 2009, 2007).
- Vice-chair of ACM SIGOPS (2011-2015)
George Candea heads the Dependable Systems Lab, where he focuses on practical ways of achieving reliability and security in complex software systems. His main focus is on real-world large-scale systems, with hundreds of threads and millions of lines of code written by hundreds of programmers—going from a small program to a large system introduces fundamental challenges that cannot be addressed with the techniques that work at small scale. In the past, George was Chief Technology Officer and then Chief Scientist of Aster Data (now Teradata Aster), a Silicon Valley big-data company he co-founded in 2005; previously, he held positions at Oracle, Microsoft Research, and IBM Research. George is a recipient of the first Eurosys Jochen Liedtke Young Researcher Award (2014), an ERC StG award (2011), and the M.I.T. TR35 Young Innovators award (2005). He received his PhD (2005) in computer science from Stanford University and his B.S. (1997) and M.Eng. (1998) in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- How to write a research statement when applying to graduate school [html]
- How to write a reference letter supporting a candidate [html]
- Switzerland has a high intellectual density:
- Some notes on what makes Switzerland special [html]
- Some statistics for the Lausanne area (cca. 2010-2011) [more info]
- 127,821 residents, of which 40% are foreign nationals, and 64% are between 20-64 years old
- housing vacancy rate is 0.17%
- surface area is 43% settled, 40% forests and copses, 17% agricultural